Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Asterisk - Open source PBX - Linux

Today I want to present one of the leading open source PBX  whose current market share is 18% and increasing gradually which may eventually be  FUTURE TELEPHONY LEADER  like cisco today. my special greetings to DIGIUM (asterisk founder) for making it open source.

It is "Asterisk - an open source PBX", for detailed information on asterisk please refer the wiki page. Here I will be discussing only those features which I have implemented in my home PC.

PC used    : Inspiron 1501, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, AMD sempron processor

OS             : Ubuntu 11

Asterisk     : Asterisk -1.8 ( Software)

softphone*  :  Twinkle on Linux     (http://www.twinklephone.com/)

                      3CX phone on my Andriod (http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/voip-phone.html)

                      Adore on Windows 7 machine(http://www.adoresoftphone.com/)

I have installed asterisk PBX server on ubuntu and the other softphones on Windows laptop and andriod phone.

NOTE: 1) All the devices are connected to LAN using wireless router. 

           2) I have not used a hardphone because it requires some hardware setup which i dont have but this is true for analog phone too.      

           3) Softphone : A softphone is a software program for making telephone calls over the Internet using a general purpose computer



In asterisk configuration, I have defined the basic dialplan like giving 2 extensions assigned usernames for them as shown below. Now my Linux machine with asterisk  is ready to take and route the calls as defined in the plan.

          Usename           Extension

          abcdef                1000

          xyz                     1002

I have logged on to my Adore softphone on windows with username - abcdef  and on 3CX softphone on Andriod Cell phone with username - xyz . When I call the extension 1000 from my andriod then I can see the phone ringing on my Windows Adore phone, Isn't it Amazing?

I do not want to explain how the asterisk communicates technically. You can google out later if you are really interested in it.

After this, now I tried to use another feature of Asterisk of calling gtalk/skype. After the successful configuration with gtalk I can now route my gtalk incoming calls to my softphone. You can also implement the same in another way. Say if the user calls on some extension say 1006 we can route that call to gtalk.... wowwwww... Its an amazing feature. Isn't it ?

Asterisk has all the features which you can see in the existing CISCO systems. I am currently preparing a white paper on this and hopefully I will update you on this in near future....

Edited and Corrected by : Vipanchi Chennamaneni

No comments:

Post a Comment